Monday, February 24, 2014

Be a happy goat (pt. 2)// 10 tips for beating anxiety

 
(My adorable nephew and I. We are happy goats for sure!)
 
Lately, some friends and I have been reflecting heavily on how to best combat anxiety, depression, and stress in your day to day life.
 
Anxiety has been something I have battled for many years. I am a high-strung girl by nature, and life's crazy circumstances have sometimes left me very anxious.   I am so happy to say though that this year especially I have found great ways to contain and even eliminate this anxiety from my life, I thought that today would be a great time to share my experiences with you!
 
OKCGlam's Ten Tips for Beating Anxiety
1. Boundaries. I am a terrible "YES Girl!" in agreeing to do everything. I have finally made peace with the fact that days, or a week, at home is OK! Especially working a stressful job it helps me to remember its ok to say no. Your real friends will get over it.

2. Healthy, happy, hobbies. Hobbies that make you SMILE. Not hobbies you feel like are a chore. I've been learning hula hoop tricks. I can't say why but it makes me happy! My blog makes me happier. Playtime. Things to focus on outside of work.

3. A better diet. My diet is no where near perfect, but i've found adding soy milk, avocados, and more fruit has made a huge difference. I also take liquid forms of b vitamins and iron that make me feel and look so much better. Watch out for high processed food and high sugar. These only add to anxiety!

4. Less caffeine. We all know I love my coffee, but with limits.

5. Things to look forward to. I'm still learning this one, but having trips planned with friends or music festivals or something on the weekend makes everything better.

6. Little rests. Sometimes I make myself sit down and do nothing for 15 minutes... no phone, just breathing, maybe even closing my eyes.

7. Religious/spiritual outlet. So helpful to remember whats really important..... It can be attending a church, consistent volunteering, walks in nature. Make it consistent and a ritual time to renew your soul is most important I have found.

8. Spring cleaning your friends. Ridding myself of negative and anxiety producing people has done me wonders. It takes incredible honesty though...I've lost several friends to this I thought i'd have for life. But I am so much better for it!

9. Super organization. I"ve started planning my outfits and meals out weekly. That means grab and go in the morning. It gives me a little extra sleep time or time with my coffee or even getting to work early! I still have far to go in organization but that really helps. I plan what I will eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all week so I have it (no mid week grocery trips). I prepare the lunches in tupperware so I just stick it in my bag and go.

10. Be nice to yourself. I've learned it is ok to splurge on yourself when you need it and in the ways you can. A bottle of bubble bath for me or a nice coffee can make a world of difference.  You are so precious don't forget to TREAT yourself that way!

 
My happy little goats, I hope this helps.  Report back any other tips you have or if these work for you! Hugs!
 
~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment