Monday, January 5, 2015

How to Rock at Consignment Shopping

 
Happy 2015, my loves! After quite a hiatus of posting, I am back again to share my little trinkets of life with you. 
 
If you know me IRL, I am an avid consignment shopper. I love, love, love, good deals but I also love, love, love, cute and good brands of clothes.  This love of shopping mixed with a teachers budget leads me to an obsession with consignment stores.
 
These are my findings from my recent trip to a local consignment shop in OKC.  I was super lucky because I had a $25.00 giftcard for Christmas.
 
My favorite thing about consignment is you can sell your old clothes back for either store credit or cash.  I have clothing A.D.D. pretty bad, so it's a great opportunity to bring my gently used clothes in and make some money back to put towards my new little closet gems.
 
On this glorious day I found these 6 treasures. From left to right a black fifties style dress with a small cowl neck, a loose kimono style sweater, a black maxi skirt with buttons and floral print, a high waist pleated skirt (cream and black), mens plaid shirt, and a loose peach sundress.  I don't stick to a particular style, so consigning is extra fun for me because I can get creative. Somedays I want to be funky, other days I love being ultra feminine.
 
Consigning can be very overwhelming, so I follow these rules to help me have the best experience:
 
1. My biggest  goal now a days when I go shopping at a store like this is to not buy anything if I don't know what I already have in my closet to wear it with.  I used to be really bad to just buy pieces because they were cute, but that lead to buying MORE pieces because I would get home and realize I had nothing to go with it.
 
2. Go in with a few things in mind that you are wanting in your wardrobe. This particular day I knew I was looking for high waisted skirts, and plaid shirts.  I also mostly wear dresses so I almost always go through that section as well.

Some things to help is to think about your favorite colors, cuts, or a certain piece you have been coveting. This helps make it not so overwhelming and you don' t have to try on as many things.  Remember you can always go back another day. :-)
 
3. Set a budget.  If you get a little over excited like I do, set a budget. Since I had all this store credit, my goal was to not go over $10.00 when I went in.  Keeping this in mind helps you save money and also helps you to really pick out the pieces you love.
 
4. Have fun and love your body.  Remember that all brands will fit you differently.  Also these are preworn clothes so they may have been shrank or stretched. Don't take it personally and don't let size limit you.  I have bought from sizes XS-XL and it just depends on the clothes.  Also don't rule out mens clothes can be a cute addition!
 
Here are the outfits I put together from my finds! These are all winterized versions because it is so very cold here in OK right now! I hope you have as much reading this as I did putting it together!
 
Black and Cream High Waist Skirt ($6.50 consignment price)
Patterned Kimono ($19.99 consignment prices. This piece was brand new hence the higher price point)
High Waist Floral Maxi  ($6.50 consignment price)
Mens Plaid Shirt  ($6.50 consignment price)
Forever 21 Black Cowl Neck Dress  ($6.50 consignment price)
Flirty Peach Sundress  ($6.50 consignment price)

No comments:

Post a Comment